It Was a Pride & Prejudice Weekend


Though the image above was not the particular one the priest referenced during his homily this past weekend, it was as close to the image that I could find. The photo that had been etched in his memory forever was from a small gazette - it was of a black woman shielding a KKK member from harm when an angry mob had formed to retaliate against him. This was the photo he had us imagine as we placed ourselves back in time, into the story of the Good Samaritan, to understand exactly what the relations between the different segments of society were. Now, perhaps the parallel is a little harsher than deserved, but it most definitely provoked thought.

How many of us would defend another's life, especially a person who we were certain would not only not defend us, but would do us harm if given the chance? I must admit, it gave me a moment's pause. The image above was the first and only one I could find that was even remotely similar to the story I heard. As I was searching endlessly, the images that came up were horrific - I literally became nauseous at the sight of them, and was quick to delete my computer history. Could I turn around, then, and love a person that evoked such reactions? If we are to remain true to the Gospel teaching, that is exactly what we are called to do (though it might more closely follow Matthew 5:43 than the Good Samaritan story). Holy cow!


Again, I go back to that soft image of Jesus that we see portrayed so often today. It is not a "soft" Jesus that challenges us to love in this radical and completely selfless way. It is a man who knew what it was to pour out his life in love for people who beat him, spat upon him, and sentenced him to death. In short, He calls us to do no less than Him, but He also walks with us and gives us the grace we need if we are open to it. That's a big "if" in some moments of great risk...


As indicting as it was of our own prejudice and faithlessness, that was not the only thought to penetrate the Sunday morning haze in my mind. Going beyond your average Good Samaritan story analysis, the next person we were asked to imagine ourselves in the place of was the injured man. The next question: how often do we allow ourselves to be helped? In a culture that demands independence and individualism, the question is not only whether we help others, but whether we allow others to help us in a time of need.

It becomes a matter of ego and pride to say we can do it all, all the time. To be faithful to the community of Christ and our interconnectedness, it is just as important to humble ourselves and allow others into our vulnerability as it is to extend ourselves beyond our limitations to lift up another. It is a give and a take, or the community does not function. Again, I admit that I have my own failings in this regard as well. Faith doesn't always call us to be strong - sometimes it calls us to be broken, to share in the cross of Christ, to allow Christ to lift us up to redemption. That is humbling and often difficult in a society where we are taught that weakness is bad and we should "save face" at all costs.

So, the weekend began with an evening watching the 1995 A&E Pride & Prejudice with friends, during which time RB kept asking what was pride and what was prejudice. Well, I hope we answered him satisfactorily that evening. I, for one, had to re-think the whole matter after these thoughts rested awhile in my soul...

1 Response
  1. Wow...food for thought. Our Good Samaritan reflection was a lot less...um, inspiring! That picture really put it into light and context Friend!

    Funny...my roomate was watching Pride and Predujice last night when I got home...'tis the season...?


  • About Me

    My photo
    Live out loud, shine brightly, leave no stone unturned, and we might just rock the world. I'm a 30-something convert to Catholicism, working in ministry, trying to live each day with a big "YES!" to God's invitations...