It's a Beautiful Day!!

[Imagine Bono's dulcet tones here...or listen to them for real HERE (no need to download, just push play)!]

Ok, ok, I'm not really going to discuss the merits of the song either musically, philosophically, theologically, or any other "-ally." I'm just saying it is a gorgeous day outside. One of those perfect, not too hot, not too cold, crisp-bright-blue-sky-with-cottony-billowy-bright-white-clouds kind of day.

It's days like these that make me realize that I should always carry my camera with me. I was fortunate enough to be able to take an afternoon walk down a gravel trail in the middle of town, and though it was a short one, the beauty of creation still left me in awe of God. Experiences like that leave me a little torn - do I just let myself soak in the grandeur or do I try to capture one miniscule iota of it on film so I can always remember it? Today the clear (and only) choice was the first.

Taking a moment to breathe in the summer-scented air, revel in the cool shade of the trees, listen to a babbling brook (see? I'm not the only thing that babbles), gaze through the translucent waters of the "river" - to experience the harmony of nature and know that I am a special part of it, grander than all the grandeur of the rest of creation - that is a humbling thought. Moments like these remind me that I should make time for more moments like these.

To immerse myself in even a half hour of God's creation unveils a new perspective on the world, though that perspective may not last as long as I like, or as it should. It does, however, remind me that everything, everything, is a gift from God. The coffee in my mug, the mug itself, the roof over my head, the chair I sit in, this computer - every last bit of it is a gift that comes forth from the gift God gave us in creation. Without that first moment, everything else would cease to be.

As much as these "things" are gifts, how much more so the people in our lives. After all, creation was made complete by the creation of man and woman - made in the image and likeness of God, though not Gods in themselves. How mindblowing and awesome a notion! Certainly makes a gal wonder if the choices she makes, from spending her money to spending her time and energy, are worthily reflecting that image and likeness.

It's a great relief to know that through the generosity of love from God in his Son, I don't have to get it right all the time or right away. The point is that my heart should be striving for perfection. And a day like today reminds me that perfection in that sense is often found in simplicity. It is in the simplest things that wonder and awe, and the grace of our Lord, are often showered upon us, quite apart from our own doing.

1 Response
  1. Lovely! Glad that you had the opportunity to do this friend! Carpe Diem and be thankful, eh!


  • About Me

    My photo
    Live out loud, shine brightly, leave no stone unturned, and we might just rock the world. I'm a 30-something convert to Catholicism, working in ministry, trying to live each day with a big "YES!" to God's invitations...