The Boy Who Lived...


Many of you, (well, if anyone is reading this, then many of you) might recognize the title as a reference to Harry Potter. Now, before any chastizing begins, let me explain that I am not a crazy fan of the books and movies. Ok, now the chastizing can start, because I will admit that I am a fan. I know, I know, there was some scuttlebutt a few years ago about how Pope Benedict XVI was against reading the books. (Though the truth came out later that his statements were a response to a very specific letter he received and he did not condemn the books as a whole...funny how that happens.) I also hear the Pope doesn't like rock music, but that would be another digression, and I've already had one, and I really am trying to keep them to a minimum!

I suppose I understand the fear that the books promote the use of supernatural powers that may/may not exist, or somehow promote the use of dark powers. I can't dispute that there exists the possibility that someone might read the series and take an affinity for magic out of it, however, I'm not convinced that the fears are well founded given my experience amidst fans of the books.

As I began to read the books a few years ago (yes, I did actually hold out on the craze for a few years), what I found was a creative way to introduce the ideas of good and evil, the battle that exists between them, and the inherent value in giving of oneself for the benefit of others, even to the point of death. What I found was great discussion between readers of all ages, from youth to the aged, about the reality of those struggles set in the context of the life of a young boy no one really knew.

Clearly, at least I certainly hope it is clear, we as Catholics tell our story of Jesus Christ, Son of Man and Son of God, and the miraculous things he did, how he laid down his life out of love for a people who betrayed Him, and of course how He defeated death itself. That is the beautiful story we have to share. That does not however preclude others from creatively sharing stories that share common themes.

Dying out of love for another, being sealed with the sign of that deep selfless love and protected by it, being called to live for something greater than oneself, learning to die to self, to close our minds to evil, battling temptation and pride, trusting in true friendship...these are all storylines and character developments found in the series. Each of these are issues that young people struggle with and/or should be talking about. Given some of the other drivel that is out there, I'm for one glad that Harry Potter has caused a stir!

Should he replace a conversation about Christ? Well, of course not! What he can do, though, is offer another opportunity to talk about Christian ideals, open a door to talk about values that we don't see or hear enough of in today's society - at least not prominently displayed. So, as I wait for the final book and the fifth movie to come out, I say "hooray" for the "boy who lived" for refueling the discussion about values in popular culture, especially among the youth.

More importantly, though, I say, "Praise God!" that he sent his Son to be the Word made flesh, to live, suffer and die for us, and to rise again, defeating death and opening the door to eternity for us. In the midst of Harrymania, let's not forget to share our story - it is the greatest one ever told, after all. :)
1 Response
  1. Awesome! This was so well thought out and written Friend! (This coming from the obsessed HP fan) :)

    If you ever look at the Amer. Library Associations list of most "banned" books of all time you will see most of the authors we all grew up with (Judy Blume is the most banned author!)

    Sometimes I think that some parents, instead of taking the opportunity to share something with their kids, take what could be (as you suggested in this blog) text that can be used in examining something real and freak out about it instead because they don't understand it, and are too afraid to say so!


  • About Me

    My photo
    Live out loud, shine brightly, leave no stone unturned, and we might just rock the world. I'm a 30-something convert to Catholicism, working in ministry, trying to live each day with a big "YES!" to God's invitations...